Sunday, February 6, 2011

Christmas Lights

I though I would finally share the video of my Christmas lights that I set up this year. There was a competition in our neighbourhood which sparked the interest in the first place. Though we didn’t win the competition it was still fun to have the house light up. It takes hours to do something like this, I had no idea but thought I would share a bit of the work required. I bought the controllers from Light-O-Rama as well as the software program that runs the light programs and music. We had actually bought the lights last year after Christmas when they are the cheapest. The controllers came in the summer, which I then put together. The lights I put up in November just before a cold snap which was fortunate. There are about 3500 lights and two light controllers with 16 channels each. There is also over 500’ of extension cord to run to all the different channels. Gives me a new appreciation for other set ups that I see on the internet. Finally the programming takes about 4-6 hours per minute of music. That is the hard part, trying to think of how you want the lights to move so that it goes with the music and isn’t too repetitive. Anyways enjoy the video. It’s not very good quality because it was quite cold when I recorded it and my camera didn’t really like it. Oh also there is an FM transmitter to allow people to listen to the music in their vehicles, you can see the station on the board.

1 comment:

  1. That looks like a lot of fun! I can tell it took a lot of work though. The music was great too! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete